5 Signs That You Have Mold in Your Home

Have you been feeling under the weather lately? Like a runny nose that just wouldn’t go away? Did you notice that it even gets worse when you’re at home? Were you wondering if it must have been the weather? The truth is, it might not be the weather but, it could be your house! A mold-infested home can be harmful to your health, particularly if the type of fungus that is growing somewhere in your house produces a toxic substance called “mycotoxin”. 

Typically, certain species of mold release mycotoxin and these are usually the black molds that develop in areas where there has been a prolonged, untreated issue of flooding or water damage. You probably think that your damp basement or that water leak in your pipe or window sill is something that you can hold off until you get the time to fix it later on. Apparently, what you thought of as a minor strain in your house could actually pose serious health risks if continuously left untreated. 

Some of the complications caused by mycotoxin from black molds range from discomfort to difficulty in breathing, headache, nasal congestion, sneezing, and sore eyes. What is more alarming is that the effects could even be as severe as permanent damage to internal organs. So the next time you noticed feeling unwell inside the house, don’t immediately blame it on the weather! 

Now that you know that minor house issues are not “minor” at all, here are the telltale signs that your house could be potentially infested with black mold. 

1. There are noticeable colored spots on your walls.

Noticeable colored spots on the walls are water seeping through the wall that could be caused by a water leak in your plumbing or in your ceiling. If you didn’t see a mold colony growing near the colored spots, this does not mean that there aren’t any molds on the surface. Sometimes, molds grow beneath the paint surface or behind the walls. It is still best to double-check the source of the leak and search for possible mold around that area before completely repairing the leak. 

2. There’s bubbling or peeling on your walls.

Bubbling, cracking and peeling on walls is usually caused by heat, moisture or both. This could be an indication that your walls are damp and there could probably be mold lurking somewhere so it’s absolutely necessary to find out what is causing the peeling because repainting it would not fix the issue. 

3. There’s a strange odor you can’t figure out where.

A musty odor is commonly associated with the presence of mold. Remember that mold is a fungus that releases foul substances that can cause discomfort and in other cases, chronic diseases. If you’re not sure where the stinky odor is coming from, perform a thorough general cleaning of your home. Once you’ve started to clean out, you’ll pretty much discover which part of the house has that stronger musty smell. More often than not, that area could be contaminated by molds.

4. Your tile grout in your bathroom has turned into a dark color.

Bathroom mold is most common in the shower area since it has high moisture content making it a very favorable environment for fungus. If there’s mold in your bathroom, you can usually sense a persistent musty smell even after cleaning it. Moreover, molds that form in bathrooms are usually easy to spot. If you’ve noticed dark and grimy spots on your tile grout, this is an indication that the situation could have already worsened. 

If you are sensitive to fungus or have a weak immune system, I recommend that you seek professional help instead of dealing with the situation yourself as some cases could be severe and could adversely affect your health. The best way to deal with it is to call professionals for a mold inspection

5. You have an unexplainable allergic reaction.

Lastly, one common and a usually overlooked sign of mold exposure is having a constant allergic reaction. Allergic reactions due to mold exposure could range from coughs, runny nose, watery eyes, and even skin irritation. If you’ve been experiencing any of these for quite a while and you’ve noticed that they’re not subsiding, it could be a sign that you’ve been exposed to toxic mold in your home. 

Mold problems, especially inside the house, shouldn’t be taken lightly because not only they can cause damage to your home but they are also hazardous to your health. Proper home care maintenance is essential in making sure that your home is a safe and comfortable place for you and your family, and this starts with having regular home inspections, repairs, and maintenance.

In order to avoid the occurrence of the mold and mildew at home, check out this handy guide from the Unclutterer on the best dehumidifiers that will help you determine which ones are the best for your needs.

However, if you already have a persisting mold problem in your household, don’t wait too long to get mold removal experts to professionally handle the situation. 

If you are in Virginia, you can still opt to have a mold inspection Norfolk VA for additional precautionary measures.

Hits: 137

harvest10_728x90_1

Be the first to comment

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO COMMENT. WE APPRECIATE YOU!