When we think about protecting our homes, we’re usually talking about burglaries, but what about house fires? A house fire can destroy your home and everything in it and it can put you in serious danger, so it’s important that you take steps to reduce the risk of it happening. The majority of house fires could have been avoided, which is why you need to be aware of these common fire hazards around the home.
Cooking is the number one cause of house fires and they usually happen because of a few simple mistakes. Whenever you’re cooking, you need to make sure that you never leave food unattended, even if it’s just for a few moments. Don’t wear anything too loose-fitting, especially around the sleeves, because it can easily catch fire. When using wooden spoons, oven mitts or anything else that can easily catch on fire, always be sure to keep it a good distance from any heat sources. Most importantly, if there is a grease fire in the kitchen, never throw water on it, which will only fuel the flames. Instead, you need to put a lid on the pan to smother the fire.
Candles are another common causes of house fires. It’s fine to use candles as long as you’re careful with them when you do. Always keep them a good distance from anything that might catch fire, like curtains, for example. You should also use sturdy candle holders that aren’t likely to fall over and always double-check that candles are completely extinguished before leaving the house or going to sleep.
If your dryer is faulty, it may give out too much heat and that can cause a fire. If you notice any difference in your dryer and it’s putting out more heat than usual, call a dryer repair company right away, don’t leave it until it gets worse because it may cause a fire. You also need to make sure that you keep on top of maintenance and clean out the filter on a regular basis because a clogged filter is the most common reason for a dryer fire.
A fireplace is a great addition to the home, but it does pose a risk if it is not installed and maintained properly. When you’re choosing a fireplace and having it fitted, always ensure that all of the right safety checks have been carried out before using it. When you do start using the fireplace, always make sure that you put it out properly and clean it out so there is nothing in there that can burn while you are out of the house. You need to check the seals around the door on a regular basis as well and if they are starting to come away, get it repaired before you light it again.
As long as you are aware of these fire hazards around the home and you know how to manage them properly, you can keep your home safe.
Disclosure – I have teenagers who constantly need something and a husband who thinks items like race cars and boats are toys. So, throughout the blog you will find affiliate links that enable me to buy a bottle or two or three of wine to keep my sanity intact.