The older I get, the more that I notice my natural hair is thinning. I’ve always wanted to dabble with different wigs and see what works for me and what doesn’t. I had the opportunity to review the GCIYAEN Fashion Straight Brown Root to Grey Ombre Synthetic Wig which I purchased from Amazon.
I had long hair at one time, and just got bored with constantly having it up in a ponytail to have it out of my face so I cut it – short.
Yes, I regret that hasty decision – at times – but having shorter hair makes it much easier to “get up and go” and not have to worry about curling or blow-drying or pinning and styling. So for those times when I do miss my long tresses, it’s nice to know that there is an alternative option to turn to.
I saw this GCIYAEN wig on one of the networks that I belong to and it totally caught my eye because of the model that was wearing it and because it was that beautiful silver gray that my eldest son loves because it reminds him of one of his favorite artists, Ghostemane.
Beautiful, right? She’s wearing a styled version of the wig that has been trimmed, but it looks really great on her! Here are a few details about the wig.
- price is reasonable
- while it is synthetic hair, it is similar to human hair – very soft but susceptible to tangles
- can withstand heat from a blow dryer (on cool setting) or curling iron or flat iron
- can be cut or trimmed to any style you like
So here’s what it looked like on me (I had a play with some snapchat filters):
Pros/Cons on the Wig
- I loved the length, although it was a bit difficult to manage and comb without a mannequin head to place it on and style properly.
- The texture of the hair was soft and silky, felt very natural.
- The “dark brown” as advertised is actually more black than brown.
- The change from the black to the grey was not as gradual as I would have liked or as it appeared in the website photo. It just did not blend as well as in the image shown on the website in real life.
- This is not a “wear out of the box” wig to me. It needs to be styled before it can be worn in public and possibly trimmed as well to look more natural.
- The wig does come with a quality hair net to place over your own hair and to help secure the wig in place.
If you are looking for a low price, ombre wig and do not mind taking the time to style and/or cut the wig to suit your specific needs – it’s a great value. If you are looking for a wig that you can take out the box and wear without any styling or trimming, I would not recommend this particular wig. It is not, in my opinion, a first wig option for anyone who has never worn a wig before.
Be sweet to one another,