If you’re looking for some delicious recipes, look no further than Cooking for Bimbos! (Make sure you have nothing else pressing to do, you’ll be on the website for a few hours … I know I was!) Blakely Trettenero is the creator of Cooking for Bimbos and an excellent chef with some of the most mouth-watering recipes I’ve seen!
This St. Patrick’s Day treat from Blakely is going to liven up any party. It’s minty, chocolate delicious goodness – not to mention super easy to make! “Move over Bailey’s and Guinness flavored everything,” says Blakely.
Grasshopper Pie from Blakely Trettenero
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs about 30 wafers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick melted butter 4 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Creme de Menthe
- 1/4 cup Creme de Coco
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate to grate on the top optional
- The first thing you want to do is make your pie crust. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine the chocolate wafer crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Stir to combine completely and add them to a 9 inch pie dish. Using the back of a measuring cup pat them firmly.
- Put the crust into the oven and let it bake for 5 minute. Take it out and let it cool.
- While the crust is cooling make the filling.
- In a saucepan over NO heat add only 1/3 cup of the heavy cream and mix in the gelatin. Let it sit for 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to bloom.
- After 5 minutes add in the sugar, creme de menthe, creme de coco, and egg yolks. Give it a good stir and put it over medium heat. Cook the mixture for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until mixture has thickened slightly. You don't want to boil the mixture!
- Pour it into a new bowl and put in the refrigerator to let it chill for about 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is chilling beat the remaining 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Add the green mixture to the cream and stir to completely combine. Once fully mixed add it to the cooled crust and put it in the refrigerator to let it chill for 3-4 hours.
- Once it's almost time to serve whip up the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until stiff. Spread on the top of the pie, grate some dark chocolate on the top, and serve!
Blakely Trettenero started Cooking for Bimbos while in culinary school at Le Cordon Bleu. It started out as a fun hobby but has now become her passion with over 250 recipes and videos.
Check out Blakely’s recipe for Corned Beef and Cabbage too while you’re visiting Cooking for Bimbos and Happy St. Patty’s Day to you and yours!