Heavenly Ambrosia, Heavenly Hash, Angel Pudding, whatever you choose to call it, this family tradition for Thanksgiving dates back generation after generation. My grandparents said that they’re parents used to make this for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, and our family is no different. It is the only time of the year that I make it, and it is something that we all look forward to year after year.
This dessert is super easy to make, clean-up is minimal, and you can tailor the recipe to suit your taste. We love to add chopped pecans and walnuts to ours and the maraschino cherries are optional. Here’s the recipe that my Nana has passed down over the years. I hope your family likes it as much as ours does!
- 1 can pineapple chunks
- 1 can mandarin oranges
- 1 can fruit cocktail
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup of coconut flakes
- 1 tub of Cool Whip
- 1 bag of mini-marshmallows
- Drain the juice from the pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, and fruit cocktail
- Add pineapple chunks, mandarin oranges, and fruit cocktail into a strainer and let sit for 30 minutes
- Transfer fruit to a large mixing bowl
- Add coconut and mini-marshmallows to the fruit, stirring gently
- Fold the Cool Whip into the fruit mixture
- Transfer to your serving bowl and top with the maraschino cherries
- Chill for 1 hour before serving
Definitely a dessert that will please everyone on your list! Happy Holidays!