Once November 1st came around each year, our home went into full-blown holiday mode when I was growing up. Mom would decorate the house for fall and Thanksgiving, there were delicious aromas to greet us every day when we arrived home from school. If she wasn’t baking up some delicious homemade pumpkin pies, then she was baking zucchini bread or making cookies. I identify each of those smells with home and the holidays, and I hope to be able to continue that tradition this year.
One of my most favorite cookies that Nana and Mom used to make together are the delightfully decadent Almond Crescent Cookies. Their buttery goodness combined with the almonds and the powdered sugar that coat them – absolutely wonderful! I have never attempted to make them for my family, simply because I was afraid that what I created would in no way live up to the memory of what my Nana and Mom made! This year, however, I’m going to give it a whirl! Mom’s recipe is super simple, and I’ve included it for you below.
Mom’s Almond Cresent Cookies
- 1 cup of butter (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of finely chopped almonds
- confectioner’s sugar
- Cream butter, salt, sugar, flour, and almonds together and mix well
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Take your dough mixture and shape into almond crescents on a non-stick baking tray
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 2 minutes, then drop to 300 degrees F and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and roll in confectioner’s sugar and set on wax paper to cool
- Once completely cool you can give them another roll in confectioner’s sugar and place in a Christmas cookie tin
These make great gifts to give during the holidays!
Thanks So Much for Sharing This Recipe for Almond Crescent Cookies, They Look & Sound Absolutely Delicious! I Love Cookies but I Really Love Homemade Cookies and May I Just Say That Almond Crescent Cookies are Amongst My Favorite Type of Cookies! My Grandmother Actually Makes Really Good Almond Crescent Cookies but I Have Never Made Them So it’s Nice to Actually Have the Recipe! Well Thanks Again for Sharing, Have a Great Evening! – Jana