We’re in the first month of the new year. Now is a good time to start focusing on your home! Over the past couple of years, our homes have become spaces where we spend a lot of time. Whether that’s been through lockdowns, periods of social isolation, or because you now work from home. So, you’re going to want to make sure that your own living space is up to the best standard possible. This will make your day-to-day life nice, more enjoyable, and more comfortable.
There are a host of different tasks and projects that you can do to achieve this over the next 12 months. Here are just a few that you might want to try out!
Everyone’s guilty of allowing clutter to build up in their home over time. This is just human nature. We tend to keep a hold of items we don’t use, invest in items we don’t really need, and generally pick up bits and pieces that end up in our home, taking up space. To tackle this, you need to declutter your property every once in a while. Decluttering will take different amounts of time, depending on how much clutter you have to deal with. The following steps should help you to make a success of this venture though!
- Sift through your belongings – go through everything you own. Determine what you do need and what you don’t need. Once you have a pile of items that you don’t regularly use or need, it’s time to determine if they have significant sentimental or decorative value. If they do, they can be kept. If they don’t you no longer need them!
- Removing unnecessary belongings – when you have a collection of items you don’t need, it’s time to get rid of them. There are several ways to do this. If the item is of value, you should try selling it. You can make some money back on it! Alternatively, you could try donating it to a charity store. If the item is broken or of no use to anyone, see whether it can be recycled.
- Storage – for the items that you do keep, you need to make sure that you invest in proper storage solutions. This will give them their own space and somewhere for you to put them while they’re not in use. This should help you to prevent your home from looking or feeling cluttered going forward.
You should carry out a deep clean on your home every once in a while. Deep cleaning tackles the areas of your home that you may miss in your general, weekly cleaning routine. It also gives you a chance to conduct regular tasks to a higher level, getting better results. Some popular deep cleaning tasks include:
- Cleaning vent covers
- Cleaning skirting boards
- Wiping down doors and door frames
- Dusting and cleaning blinds
- Vacuuming the couch and chairs
- Cleaning the oven
- Deep cleaning the toilet
If you don’t have the time or energy to conduct a deep clean yourself, you can always hire professional cleaners who can clean up your property for a reasonable cost!
We all vacuum our carpets on a regular basis. This tends to be a routine chore that’s part of our regular to-do list. But when it comes down to it, you will have to properly clean your carpet every once in a while too. Think about it. Vacuums only lift surface dirt. While they do a good job of this, carpets are still fabric, so dirt can easily become trapped in the fibers. Over time, this will build up.
Whether that’s because family members, friends, or pets are walking through your home with dirt on their shoes and paws. While it’s possible to reduce the amount of dirt that builds up in your carpet by asking people to remove their shoes indoors and by washing pets’ feet regularly, dirt will slowly build up over time. You can also find that spills cause marks on your carpets, such as spilled food or drinks.
Now, you don’t have to get on the floor and scrub that carpet yourself. Instead, professional carpet cleaning will take care of all the work for you, achieving an even and top-quality finish. A professional carpet steam cleaning company will have proper cleaning machines on hand that will lift dirt up and out of your carpets. You’ll be shocked at what comes out and how fresh and new your carpets can look afterward!
If you’re looking for a larger-scale project, renovations could be a good option for your home. Home renovations are any form of work on your home that improves the space. It generally involves changing the structure of your property to better suit your needs and preferences. There are countless different types of renovation that you could consider, ranging from loft conversions to extensions, the addition of an en suite, and more.
There are some important steps to take before getting started though. First, you need to make sure that you can carry the work you want out on your home. Most properties are subject to planning permission, where you will have to gain approval from the local council regarding any changes you want to make to your home. Next, you need to budget. Get quotes from reliable professionals with good reviews and an impressive portfolio. This will help you to determine what you can and can’t afford, and can give you something to aim and save towards. Once you’re ready, you can get the project started and really enjoy the benefits!
The chores and projects above can each help to make a huge difference to your home. So, why not give a few a try? Find those that are relevant to your own living space and contact the relevant professionals, or invest in the relevant equipment, to be able to give them a go! You’ll find yourself with a neater, tidier, and more comfortable living environment to spend your time in!