I made homemade macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving for my family – the first time. It was a simple recipe (which I will share below) but it was the kind that was best made a day ahead of time so that things had time to congeal and solidify. Tasted 100% better the following day as leftovers!
This is my mom’s recipe for homemade Macaroni and Cheese that I later made for my family. I thought there was going to be a fist fight between the boys over who would get the last bit left! This is a winner!
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cook macaroni according to the package instructions and drain
- In saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter over medium heat
- Stir in enough flour to make a roux
- Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly
- Stir in cheeses, cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick
- Put macaroni in large casserole dish and pour sauce over macaroni
- Stir well
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat then add breadcrumbs and brown
- Spread over the macaroni and cheese to cover
- Garnish with a little paprika if desired
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3684Total Fat: 217gCholesterol: 642mgSodium: 3632mgCarbohydrates: 265gFiber: 10gSugar: 49gProtein: 167g
Does your family have a favorite homemade macaroni and cheese recipe? Share with us below!