I know it may not sound all that appetizing; however if you get some fresh, young dandelion greens from your yard – this salad is super easy to make and absolutely delicious! It is a definite favorite from our family recipes – my nana taught me how to make this for my granddad many years ago.
Pennsylvania Dutch Hot Dandelion Salad
- Fresh young dandelion greens
- 4 thick slices bacon
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- black pepper to taste
- Wash dandelions and pick over carefully removing any weeds and plucking off any dead spots.
- Roll in cloth and pat dry.
- Put into a salad bowl and set in warm place.
- Cut bacon in small cubes, fry quickly and pour over dandelions.
- Put butter and cream into a skillet and melt over low heat.
- Beat eggs, add salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar, then mix with the slightly warm cream mixture.
- Cook over high heat until dressing is quite thick.
- Pour, very hot, over the dandelions.
- Stir well and serve!