I had an extra pound and a half of ground beef in the fridge that I took out for dinner the previous night (Taco Tuesday) and did not use. It was defrosted, so I couldn’t re-freeze it, and was out of cheese and bacon and a myriad of other things I needed to make any number of the keto recipes that I wanted to use it for.
So, as I am apt to do at times such as these, I gathered up what I did have in the house and took stock to see what would combine with what to make a meal. This Spicy Shrimp & Burger Ramen Soup came out of that inventory check.
Not surprisingly, The Man-Thing and Teen #2 were apprehensive about trying out this “concoction” of mine. Scaredy-cats, they never want to try anything new unless it is THEIR idea or THEIR recipe! However, once they saw me inhaling dinner, they decided to give it a shot as well, and actually liked it! (Well why wouldn’t they? Everything I included in this meal was something they each enjoyed eating separately!)
- 4 packages Maruchan Beef Ramen Noodles
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Texas Pete Hot Sauce
- 1 package Small Cooked Shrimp, Peeled Deveined Tail-off (Walmart)
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sweet hot mustard
- 1 1/2 lb cooked ground beef
- 12 scallions, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add ground beef to skillet and cook well. Add onion powder, garlic powder, soy sauce, and sweet hot mustard and a 1 tbsp. hot sauce (whichever you prefer). Combine well then drain and set aside.
- In a separate large pot, add water as directed on the Maruchan ramen noodles package for each pack.
- Separate the seasoning packets from the ramen noodles.
- Add all 4 seasoning packets to the water with the shrimp. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When water begins to boil, add the ramen noodles and cook as directed on the package.
- If you like your noodles to "plump up" more leave them to boil for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef mixture and remaining hot sauce and mix well.
- Top with a diced scallion and serve.
This recipe is easily adaptable to suit your tastes. Add more spices and hot sauce to kick the heat up. You can also add green or red peppers, jalapeno peppers, diced chiles, etc. or top with cheese, add scrambled eggs - the sky is the limit!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212 Total Fat: 8.2g Saturated Fat: 2.9g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 528mg Carbohydrates: 11.7g Fiber: 0.7g Sugar: .8g Protein: 21.3g
There are so many different ways you can kick this up a notch. Add some peppers, give it an Asian flair, the sky is the limit really!
If you decide to adopt the recipe and change it up please let me know! I would love to see what you do with it and give it a go myself!