Being able to make the best rice in a pot is not very complicated. It is a true art form to achieve the best balance, to make the perfect rice. For some people, it may seem impossible, but it is only a matter of learning and practicing, and the advantages are worth the effort.
There is no such thing as being bad for cooking rice; if it doesn’t work out, it’s simply because some error has been made in the process. So here you will find the key to properly cooking white rice.
How to Make a Good, Tasty White Rice
A basic rule to follow is to use the proper amount of water. So, what is the correct white rice to water ratio that we should keep in mind?
It may be surprising, but the proportion is 1:2, that is, for each cup of rice you want, you must add 2 cups of water.
Different proportions are required on the stove, which is well known. But, the key to cooking rice is that the darker the rice, the longer it takes to cook, and therefore more water is constantly evaporating.
Instant Pot White Rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of white rice
- Pour 2 cups of water, vegetable oil, and salt into the instant pot, then add the rice. Stir a little to blend.
- Set it on high heat and let it boil. After about 5 minutes, the water should start to evaporate. When you see bubbles are about to stop bouncing on the surface of the rice, lower the heat to a minimum and cover.
- After about 15 minutes, taste if the rice is ready. If not, put the lid back on and leave for another 5 minutes. When the rice is done, turn it off and remove it from the stove and serve.
Some Tips for Cooking Rice
Bear in mind these tips when you’re going to cook white rice:
- Before putting the rice to boil, it is important that the rice should be rinsed under tap water using a strainer or a colander to remove any excess starch. You can carry out this operation about 3 times, or wait until the water that leaks through the strainer looks transparent.
- If you cook the white rice in a short time it will probably be al dente, a state that, unlike what happens with pasta, is usually not suitable.
- On the other hand, if you cook rice for a long time, what you will cause is that the grains stick together and get a soft and rubbery texture.
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- 2 pounds of skinless and boneless chicken thighs minced
- 3 cups of long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of canned chipotles in adobo chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- In an instant pot, place all the ingredients: the chicken along with the onion, garlic, chicken broth, marinated chipotles, oil, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. Next, properly close the lid of the pot and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Then carefully proceed to release the pressure and open the pot. With the lid open, let it cook well and wait until it boils. Now add the rice and vegetables and cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve on a plate with lemon wedges for presentation.
Furthermore, don’t forget that the way of cooking is not the same for all types of rice, there are some variations.
We hope these tips help you perfect your rice-cooking skills – I know I sure learned a lot!