We all love BMWs, as they are high quality and reliable vehicles. However not everyone is able to afford a brand new BMW. Buying a used BMW means that you will be able to get the vehicle you want for a much cheaper price. However, when you are buying a used BMW there are quite a few things that you should keep in mind before you make your purchase.
The most important thing to remember is not to buy the first vehicle that you see! Take your time so that you can find the right used BMW for your needs! Here are some tips:
Take a Look Into Your Finances
Don’t go into buying a new BMW before knowing what you can afford. Understanding your own finances will ensure that you know how much you are willing to put down when the buy the car. Make a budget of what you can afford and stick to it, don’t get carried away and spend more than you need to.
Take your time to figure out exactly what you want before you buy your BMW, as you don’t want to rush and make a hasty decision. Do research into the different models of BMW to find the one you want to purchase and what you can expect with that particular vehicle. Think about what you will be using the car for and what kind of specifications you will need for it to be useful and convenient.
Get an Inspection
When you are buying a used BMW it is important to make sure that the vehicle has been inspected by a BMW dealership or a certified BMW technician. It is worth paying the extra money to have the car checked out, as you are taking a risk if you purchase the car sight unseen. Some owners will just want to get rid of an old run down car and get the money and they may not be fully honest with you about any problems the vehicle might have.
Take a Look at the Interior as well as the Exterior
As well as examining the outside of the car closely for any issues, it is important to take a look at the inside. Is there a cigarette smell in the car that will be impossible to get out? Are there any stains on the upholstery? Has the owner been using hatchbag boot protectors to ensure that no stains or marks have been left within the boot of the vehicle? There are even BMW boot liners designed for this specific type of car, which are perfect for keeping the interior of the vehicle protected from any damage.
More Tips for Buying a Used BMW
Here are a few more important things that you should keep in mind when you are buying a used BMW:
- Test all of the electronics in the vehicle thoroughly, including the windows, climate controls, power seats and audio system.
- Check for corrosion and water damage under the carpet and including in the trunk – the water can seriously damage your electronics.
- There have been complaints in some BMWs about hairline cracks in the alloy rims that cause air leaks. These cracks can be very small and difficult to detect, but if your tires are low on air this can be the reason.
- Take the BMW for a test drive and watch out for clunks from the drive train and rough shifts from the transmission.
- In order to avoid purchasing a car that was previously damaged in an accident, you should run the Carfax or another used car history report.
- BMW cars can sometimes have problems with their engine cooling systems, including coolant leaks and failed water pumps. These issues must be addressed as soon as possible, because if they are allowed to overheat this can cause a lot of serious engine damage.
These are just a few very important tips to keep in mind when it comes to buying a used BMW. This type of car is a delight to own, but it’s important to take your time and choose the right one to ensure that you are making a worthwhile investment. When you find the right car for you it will be a reliable purchase that will serve you well for many years.