Note: We are only accepting paid feature posts at this time. Guest posts that contain no external links (unless to nationally known news outlets such as People, USA Today, CNN, etc.) and are written simply as informative and entertaining articles are always welcome free of charge.
Below you will find our guidelines and instructions on how to become a contributor at Life in a House. This information was updated as of May 30, 2019, and is subject to change.
Life in a House provides quality articles and helpful tips to our readers while also promoting our affiliate companies and their products. Our audience primarily consists of parents of teens and young adults that appreciate tips and advice on managing their households and finances on a budget without relinquishing quality. We also have a section designated just for our fellow bloggers with tips and suggestions on how to grow their blogs.
Understanding this is key if your pitch is to be accepted.
We cover topics such as:
- parenting and relationships
- mental health and women’s health
- family recipes and drinks for all occasions
- home decor, maintenance, renovations and gardening
- travel and vacation destinations for families both locally and abroad
- holiday-themed articles and gift guides
- blogging tips regarding affiliate marketing, growing your blog, social media, etc.
We are always open to other topics too; provided that they are written with our audience in mind.
- Your post must be at least 750 words.
- Your post must be unique and written specifically for our audience.
- Your post must not be published elsewhere, and you agree never to republish it on another site.
- Your post should be well-written in grammatically correct English, proof-read, and ready to publish.
- Your post must provide actionable advice – for example, if you are sharing a tip on starting a container garden, our readers should be able to put that tip into action based on your post (or via links for further reading).
- You should avoid any “basic” advice – for example, a post on content promotion should detail what to do not just “share your content on social media.”
- You are welcome to include external links that are relevant for a fee but should not be self-promotional or include your affiliate links.
- We provide relevant images if needed. If you have screenshots or charts that need to be included, each image should include a link to its source or the site where the screenshot was taken. Any images in breach of copyright will not be accepted.
- Your post should be written in short, easily digestible paragraphs.
- Your post should be well formatted and use H2 or H3 tags were relevant.
- You must review our services offered in our Online Shop and familiarize yourself with the shop
- If purchasing a featured post article you agree to pay via PayPal through your purchase of services in our Online Shop or via PayPal invoice (which involves a $5 administrative fee) prior to the publication of your article.
By submitting your article to us, you agree that:
- You give us permission to make any applicable changes to your post to bring it in-line with our publishing standards.
- You give us permission to repurpose your post whenever necessary – we may convert your post into other content types as a way to promote it.
- You will also promote your post via social media and other promotional channels – not just one tweet and that’s it.
- You agree that we may update the post when required – if it is preferable you can update it or we can. We have a duty to ensure our content is as up-to-date as possible. We will re-promote the post to our audience and Google rewards your post with more traffic. A win-win for both of us.
What to Include In Your Pitch
- An introduction – tell us who you are, what you do and your experience writing.
- Samples – include links to at least 3 posts that you have written from sites that are not your own.
- Who you work for – who will you be linking to in your article.
- Topic Ideas – include at least 3 topic ideas with suggested headlines.
- Confirmation to follow all of our guidelines – you must confirm that you agree to follow all of our contributor guidelines listed above and have visited and reviewed our Online Shop.
The points listed above are not optional – they are all required. We are very specific about what to include because it will separate your pitch from other guest post pitches. You know the type – the horrible spammy ones that have been emailed out in mass batches to a list of names and websites that they have no knowledge of.
If you miss any of the above, it tells me that you have not read this page. And if you cannot follow our guidelines on pitching, it stands to reason you probably won’t follow the rest of our contributor guidelines either.
Where and How to Send Your Pitch
Send an email to contact [at] lifeinahouse.net with “I want to write for Life in a House” in the subject line. If you have followed our list of what to include in your pitch, we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Disclosure – I have teenagers who constantly need something and a husband who thinks items like race cars and boats are toys. So, throughout the blog you will find affiliate links that enable me to buy a bottle or two or three of wine to keep my sanity intact.