Boys Suspenders are generally long fabric strips put over the shoulders aimed at holding up the trousers. Suspenders attach to the pants with the help of buttons or clips and have an ‘X’, ‘Y’ or ‘H’ shape at the back for extra support and strength. This also prevents any strap from falling off the shoulders. ‘H’ shaped variety of suspenders is less common and used by firefighters. The most universal suspender varieties are the ‘X’ and ‘Y’ shapes.
1. How Thick Should Your Suspenders Be?
Talking about the boy suspender straps, these days, it is possible to find a wide variety ranging from super skinny to highly wide. A general idea is to invest in one or two solid suspenders with straps in the common width range of 1.25” – 1.5”. Trendy, challenging widths range from 0.5” to 1”. Heavy duty, highly functional suspenders designed for work and for men with heavy builds have a width of around 2”.
2. Clips or Buttons?
Some of us would think that both buttons and clips work well and are acceptable. But, we are specifically inclined towards use of buttons because they give a more refined and cleaner look than clips. Suits need to be equipped with inner buttons made for boys’ suspenders. But, when it comes to trousers and pants with buttons, it is a good idea to sew them by yourself. Those who are interested in getting a trendy, hip look can go with clips. They may, however, damage the waistband of outfits over a long time. Be careful!
3. How Do You Put Suspenders On?
Majority of men prefer to fasten the back of boys’ suspenders and then put on the trousers and fasten the front of the suspenders at the last. Some others prefer fastening the front and the back buttons before putting on the trousers. It is actually a matter of personal preference.
4. Suspenders and Suits. No or Yes?
Certainly, a Yes, but omit clips. If you wish to rock a suit and suspenders together, use the buttons. Suspenders look good with a standard tie and a bow tie as well. Don’t mind pairing your bow tie and suspenders for that rocking vintage look.
5. What Other Rules Do I Need to Know About Suspenders?
- The first thing to know is that suspenders can be worn whenever you wish. They look great on anything, whether you are attending a white tie event or getting ready in your casuals for an outing. When putting on leather suspenders, the general rule is that they should match your shoes.
- Moreover, you should not bother about covering your suspenders unless the place and weather requires you to put on a blazer or coat. Rock the suspenders and let people know how stylish you can look in them. An important thing to note is that you should never use a belt and suspenders at the same time. “It is not so often that I see a man wearing suspenders and a belt but when I see such a person, I consider him a pessimist. Those who wear boys’ suspenders and belt together should be carrying an umbrella with them on sunny days and would be wearing multiple condoms.” So, remember these little things and go ahead to try your suspenders. Mix and match them with different outfits and don’t forget to leave your belt home.
Whether it’s for a coming party or a gift, choose your perfect modern sharp boys suspenders and find the one that’s right for your style from street, to fashion, to modern, to classic, to formal.
Disclosure – I have teenagers who constantly need something and a husband who thinks items like race cars and boats are toys. So, throughout the blog you will find affiliate links that enable me to buy a bottle or two or three of wine to keep my sanity intact.