I have thoroughly enjoyed celebrating National Mom’s Nite Out over the past several years, and this year is no different! #NMNO2016 is May 5, 2016 – just in time to kick off your Mother’s Day weekend in style! Have a movie night with your BFFs, maybe pop in to All Fired Up and make a pretty ceramic keepsake to commemorate this year. Since we know how hard our #RVAMoms work and deserve some “me” time, we’ve put a list together of some local events to pamper that special mom in your life!
Peaks of Otter Winery Mother’s Day Weekend – May 4, 5, 6
Follow the back roads along the beautiful Blue Ridge for a taste of grandma’s fruit wine or to pick up a gift for mom from our shop. Open 12PM to 5PM. Taste three for free from a plastic cup or $5 to taste 20 from our souvenir glass you get to take home with you. Round out the day with a picnic and visit with our friendly farm animals.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens
The long weekend kicks off on Friday, May 6 with National Public Gardens Day. This day is designed to promote awareness of public gardens. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden will have its historic Bloemendaal House open to the public from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. with free drop-in tours by knowledgeable Garden Guides where you can learn more about the history of the property as the Lakeside Wheel (or bicycle) Club built in the 1890s. (please note: regular admission is required.)
Saturday, May 7 – Create an experience your mom will enjoy! Stretch out and relax on the Rose Garden terrace lawn and read your favorite books. Explore woodland walks searching for fairies. Get down and dirty with digging activities. Help weave a Maypole, hula hoop and chase bubbles! (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Sunday, May 8 – The popular Mother’s Day concert with Glenroy Bailey & Co. will be held at the Bloemendaal House from 1-4 p.m. Food is also available for purchase in front of the Bloemendaal House from 12-3 p.m. Guests are welcome to bring blankets or lawn chairs but no outside food or beverages are permitted.
Saturday and Sunday – Enjoy activities in the Children’s Garden include “make-and-takes” for mom: make a Mother’s Day card and a flower made of recycled material (10 a.m. – 4 p.m.)
Mother’s Day at Bacon’s Castle – May 7 from 10AM to 5PM
Are you looking for something wonderful and unique to do for this Mother’s Day Weekend? What could be sweeter that tea at the Castle?
Bacon’s Castle is hosting a historically inspired Mother’s Day Jaunt in the Garden on Saturday, May 7th where they invite you to:
- Bring a picnic to watch the 18th century cricket match on the lawn
- Stroll through the 17th century pleasure garden while sipping iced tea and nibbling on light refreshments
- Take a tour of the oldest brick dwelling in the United States.
- Join the Regency Society to play with an assortment of games and toys from the 19th century.
- Play at our garden activity table
- Summary: Spend the Saturday before Mother’s Day weekend at Bacon’s Castle! Iced tea, house tours, games and garden activity table included in general admission tickets
465 Bacon’s Castle Trail
Surry, VA 23883
Little Known Historical Tales of Legendary Mothers – May 7 from 2PM to 4PM
Bring your remarkable mother to meet a of collection historic remarkable mothers at Scotchtown! From the first published female American author to the first female physician, Scotchtown will be hosting an event like no other!
Your ticket will include:
- An interpretive production highlighting over one dozen legendary mothers through history
- Interactive tea party with costumed interpreters (tea offered from 2PM to 4PM)
- Guided tour of Scotchtown
- Self-guided tour of our two brand new exhibits, “People, Place and Preservation” and “The Legacy of Patrick Henry: Human Rights, Liberty and Revolution”
- Tours offered from 10AM to 5PM
Seating is very limited, so reserve your tickets today!
$20 per person for Preservation Virginia Members and $25 per person for General Admission
Free Admission for all Moms on Mother’s Day to Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown
Sunday, May 8 – 12PM to 5PM
Patrick Henry’s Scotchtown
16120 Chiswell Lane
Beaverdam, Virginia, 23015
As always, be sure to visit Virginia Is For Lovers to receive all the latest festivals, events, places to go and things to see in this beautiful state of ours. You can find more fun things to do with mom in their Mother’s Day Weekend Celebration Guide.